The East Smithfield Public Library is
comprised of two former, local, mill-sponsored libraries - the Bernon Public
Library and the Esmond Free Public Library. In 1872, a public library was
founded in Georgiaville by the Bernon Manufacturing Company, and in 1916, the
Esmond Mills contributed some space and money to start the Esmond Library. In
1967, the Boards of Trustees of the two libraries decided to incorporate under
one board as the East Smithfield Public Library and subsequently moved to its
present location at
Providence county. This is a large town, containing an area of about 10 by 6 miles, and a great variety of surface and soil.
The manufacture of lime is an
important and extensive business, and affords employment to a great number of
persons. There is also a quarry of white stone at what is called
The soil is a gravelly and sandy loam, with some sections of a calcareous loam. It is generally rich and fertile, although in some places it has been reduced by an exhausting system of cultivation. There are, however, some low and marshy tracts, which are generally appropriated to mowing, and afford good crops of grass. The agricultural productions consist of the various articles common to the climate; Indian corn, rye, wheat, barley, oats, potatoes, flax, beef, pork, butter, cheese, apples, cider and hay.
The waters of the town consist of the Blackstone, which washes its northeastern border, and a branch of this river, nearly of equal size, which intersects the town, discharging its waters into the former, in the northern sections of the town. After the union of these streams, the Blackstone is from one to two hundred feet in width. At some seasons of the year, it overflows its banks, and has been known to rise from 15 to 20 feet above its usual height. Besides these, there are numerous small streams, some of which afford valuable sites for mills and manufacturing establishments, which are mostly occupied. In the south part of the town, within about 4 miles from Providence, there is a considerable body of water, called Scots Pond. It is nearly a mile in length, about half a mile in width, and of great depth. What is remarkable in this pond, is the steep descent of its shores. Cases have occurred, of persons being drowned in attempting to water their horses at this pond.
There is a remarkable fall of water upon the Blackstone river called Woonsocket falls, which is considered as quite a curiosity. The fall is about 20 feet, not perpendicular, but over a precipice of rocks for some distance. The fall of the water upon these rocks through a succession of ages, has occasioned numerous excavations, all of which are smooth and circular, and some of them very large, being sufficient to contain several hogsheads.
Slaterville is another beautiful village in this town, on
Branch river, about 2 miles W. from
© 2004–2007 NewEnglandTowns.org